Monday, June 29, 2009

Circuit Board rug

I am really happy with the Circuit Board latch hook rug!!

Doug gave me this circuit board after replacing his furnace. He knew I thought they were neat and said he figured I could “come up with something to do with it.”


Circuit board - inspiration for rug

I modified the design slightly for practical reasons. Although there are slight differences, like myself and my brother, I think you can tell they’re related.

circuit board rug

This rug was a lesson in both planning and learning math. Sadly, I don’t mean calculus, I mean like simple addition and multiplication. I thought with this rug I would be Really Organized. I planned it very carefully, graphing it with colored pens, and then adding up how many stitches there would be in each color. It was going to be so perfect!

First of all, I was thwarted by Hobby Lobby not having enough of the light oatmeal colored yarn. I purchased what they had, used it all, then returned for more. I thought I was set. Turns out I grossly underestimated, but when I went to purchase yet more of the yarn, Hobby Lobby was sold out and the color I needed was on backorder. (“We can’t figure out why we suddenly can’t keep rug yarn in stock; no one was buying it before!”) I ordered some directly from the manufacturer.

Then I ran out AGAIN.

Finally I went back and added things up yet again, got the correct amount to finish the rug, and well, here it is. I guess the moral of the story is: learn to multiply so you’re not wasting money on shipping yarn and more yarn. I’ll get the hang of this eventually.

For the record, I still think it was worth it and plan to do a few more of this type of rug, maybe one in punch needle next.

9 comments:

  1. Bummer on the yarn drama, but it was totally worth the rad result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is, by far, the coolest latch hooked rug. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is an awesome rug. (I came here via Neatorama.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be making the pattern available for sale? I really really want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can do that. :) Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg my husband would love it!!! I want one...now before Christmas to put under the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like this PCB design and style rugs. That's really creative idea.

    ReplyDelete