Friday, April 16, 2010

Black Bears

My poor friend Russ of Tinyfolk has been waiting forever for me to finish the album art for his new release, Black Bears. Thankfully, it is at last complete.

Black Bears

It is based on Pamela Smith's artwork for "The World" card in the Rider-Waite tarot deck.

The piece was freehand embroidered on pieces of linen cloth which I recycled from my day job in a paper conservation lab -- the linens had originally been used as a reinforcement backing on maps.

I freehand embroider / refuse to draw patterns on my cloth because I am crazy, and like being frustrated for long periods of time.

You can pre-order the album here. Beware: you will have the song "I was a black bear" in your head for the rest of your life. Or maybe that's just because I have been working on this embroidery for so long ... ?

No comments:

Post a Comment