Monday, January 25, 2010

Oh yeah, I forgot - WOMEN'S HISTORIC SPORT FASHION IS THE NEW BLACK

I have been pretty into women's historic sporting fashion lately. (One of the many reasons I'm so into sewing right now.) I guess it's not just lately ... I have long had an affinity for old cheerleading sweaters. I wouldn't call it an "unhealthy obsession." Anyway, you should know that this is not just for the past anymore. This is bigger than "A League of Their Own." I'll let the images speak for themselves.

Here is a good page about women's sport fashion until 1960.

And Tennis Apparel History.

1894 Women's Cycling Apparel

Some images here with women's figure skating apparel.

I'm not going to post links to historic bathing suit fashion because those are easy to find. I know you know how to use Google.



Anyway, here are some ways to to add these fashions to your wardrobe. Let's bring this stuff back, ok? Summer is icumen in!

Vintage-inspired sports dress

Skater dress. Is this historically-inspired, or just cute? Hard to tell sometimes.

Tennis dress pattern
(If you don't applique tennis rackets onto it, how will anyone know?)

Tennis skirt Maybe you don't want to make it.

Cheerleader sweater

No comments:

Post a Comment